History

A young adult in his twenties, Phillip W. Abatelli Sr. emigrated from Palermo, Sicily to New York with a dream of owning and operating a business in America.  In 1908, Mr. Abatelli founded Abatelli Realty & Insurance on 31st Street, in Astoria, Queens, later, moving his real estate and insurance business to Northern Boulevard in Flushing.  It was then here in a building with a red-peaked roof that resembled the letter “A” that the Abatelli brand was born.

Phillip successfully grew his businesses in northeastern Queens over the years.  Then, in the early 1950s, having heard about the pristine land of Long Island’s east end, he set new sights on an expansion location known as the North Fork.  It was there, around 1953, in the small hamlet of Cutchogue that Abatelli Realty expanded.

As the Queens landscape continually changed over the years, New York City enacted “Eminent Domain” rights and purchased the Abatelli Building for use as a Public Library.  This necessitated a move to its present location on Francis Lewis Boulevard.  Several years later Phillip W. Abatelli Sr. sold his Queens’s real estate and insurance business to his sons, Mario and Phillip Jr. and began to concentrate on his new love, the North Fork, and focused on the east end real estate business full-time.

In the mid 1980s, Richard W. Abatelli, the third generation Abatelli, assumed management and eventual ownership of the Flushing and Cutchogue offices.  Today, Richard maintains the same high standard business beliefs of his father and grandfather and has become involved with local civic and charitable organizations.  With Abatelli Realty & Appraisal Services, Richard serves the real estate community with honesty, integrity, and a dedication to excellence for client relations.